Monday, March 30, 2009

Training for a job I don't want!

This week I’m in Atlanta, training for my strike assignment. I’ve really been dreading this trip. Mainly for having to leave my family for a week and travel by myself but also because of all the preparation. Sunday after church, I spent a couple of hours with the fam and left around 3:30. I wanted to get to Atlanta before dark so I could easily find my hotel and my way to the office. Well, I boo hoo’d until I got to Anniston. I’m such a cry baby and got so emotional. I guess it’s just been building up inside me – this threat of a strike and having to leave again has just been weighing on me. I’ll return home Friday night and find out Saturday night at midnight if the union issues a strike. If so, I’ll have 24 hours to report to Springfield, MO.

Sunday was a beautiful day and the drive over was a great time to admire all the dogwoods blooming in the meadows and mountains between Alabama and Georgia. I thanked God and was determined to cheer up. I arrived in Atlanta and just like my map said, I got off my exit, turned left and ½ mile NW would be my hotel. But when I made my left turn I found a large orange barricade flashing “Detour”. Great! ….so 45 minutes later after driving through the maze they call downtown Atlanta, I found the office and my hotel. Not the first Marriott hotel I stopped at, mind you, “No, you need to go a little further downtown”. Nonetheless, I found it and got checked in. I don’t like staying downtown by myself. I’m intimidated by its towering buildings and dark shadows. The streets are narrow and there are pedestrians everywhere and Marta buses, horse and carriage rides, valet parking and homeless people. From my room I hear buses and car alarms. I like home! I want to go home!

Today was better. I found my way to the office and actually reunited with a friend I haven’t seen in at least, 10 years. We’re planning on having lunch one day this week. Our first day of training wasn’t so bad. There are only three of us in our class, two men, me and the trainer. Being that we are in an AT&T corporate building, along with many other management employees and retirees training for their assignments, there was much talk about the strike. Most feel the union will strike, others say AT&T wants the union to strike because they stand to make millions by saving pay role, insurance and benefits cost on 125K employees. It was discouraging ….until…until I got back to my hotel, got settled, checked email and FB and began reading my daily Lent bible study. I began to feel at ease. I was quickly reminded that God is able! He is bigger than the CWA union, AT&T and corporate America! Jesus purposely waited to return to Judea until after Lazarus’ death so that his disciples and the Jews would believe in Him.

Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"
41So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me."
John 11: 40-42


I’m encouraged by God’s word. I know that He is sovereign, He hears my prayers. Now I must wait to see, what is his will?

Praying for home,
Anne Marie

2 comments:

j_webb said...

Home ain't the same without you. We miss you honey!

heather said...

I so pray for you and hope that all works out.