Well, for the past three days it has done nothing but rain and rain and rain! By Sunday afternoon, the girls and I were getting cabin fever. We had run out of things to do in the house (not really but, ya know)...they built forts, painted fingernails, played on the computer, made cookies and veg'd out watching TV. Finally, Sunday afternoon brought a short break from all the rain. After having a wonderful lunch with the Morgan family, we decided to go for a "Sunday drive". We headed down 174 towards Springville and on to Trussville until we came to Sonic, where we indulged in several Hot Fudge Sundaes and one Butterfinger Sonic Blast....mmmmmmmm! The rain resumed later that night and has continued (now Tuesday night).
Before the rain, we enjoyed a nice hike to the top of Microwave Towers Rd. Friday, Jason came home telling the girls about how he use to go up to the top of Microwave Towers Rd and overlook the beautiful mountains. He failed to explain how you used to be able to DRIVE to the top and park. Now there is a large gate blocking the entrance at the bottom of the road. You can park at the bottom of the road and walk through the gate, which is what we did. Can you say "Trespassing"? After seeing the breathtaking view, the hike down was my favorite part. The girls gathered souvenirs...pine needles (to make a broom), large pine cones (to decorate with glitter), a pocket full of muscodines and blueberry look-a-likes. Here's a few pictures from our adventure.
Thankful for the rain,
Anne Marie
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
All that sounds like such fun! You are very creative with your kids! I love spontaneous road trips, especially when they end up at Sonic!
When you have these three,...
... you BECOME creative! (or else!)
Still don't know what those blueberry-looking berries are. I am coming up with maybe a Juneberry or Serviceberry? from the net. Any ideas?
The pictures were great....looked like you were in the smokies. You need to make Jason make a few pictures with YOU in them.
Shirley
im sorry! my family was part of the petition to put the gate up. you see we use to live at the bottom of microwave tower road. like if you went up there and jumped off the mountain you would of landed somewhere on our roof. i was like 2 so you cant blame me. but from what my parents say teenagers (jason?) use to drive up there late at night and get rowdy and loud and so after dad poured roofing nails all up the road to try and deter the teens, someone eventually put a gate up. my father.... always thinking of new and inventive ways to spoil the fun!!
What a cool hike. Isn't that the backside of Cook Springs? I think I hiked that as a young camper.
Muscadines? HMMMMM, I bet Jason has a plan for that!
So that's how I got all those flats!
I think it MUST have been the Odenville crowd that was rowdy and loud. :-)
The sherrif "Bull?" used to come up there from time to time and would just tell us to clean up after ourselves and then he'd leave.
Shirley-
I took several pictures of Anne Marie and girls, however, the camera was on manual focus and they were bad. -My contacts were foggy and I didn't even notice!
Love the photos you've added, Anne Marie!
Post a Comment