Thursday, September 4, 2008

Labor Day weekend

This Labor Day weekend was spent in my hometown, Augusta GA. We went to visit my uncle, a double amputee who is under hospice care - due to a heart condition resulting from his diabetes. He has sustained several heart attacks but currently has only 10% blood flow to his heart. It has been a very difficult past few months for my uncle and his family.
Everyday while taking my daughters to school, I pass a church sign that reads, "God's grace comes with responsibility, it must be shared". It resonates in me. I guess when you have something that is so good, you want to share it. God has been so gracious to my uncle and his family. Not only has he lived years beyond what any doctor ever thought, he has seen all three of his children wed, start families of their own and watched his grandchildren start school. Several weeks ago, he watched as two of his grandchildren were baptised. The Holy Spirit was working in his heart and that Sunday my uncle rededicated his life to Christ. The following day he was rushed to the emergency room where his family received the following news.
All the small blood vessels surrounding his heart are 100% blocked. The main artery to his heart is 90% blocked. The same disease that attacked his legs is now attacking his heart. He has sustained a few heart attacks and has only 10% blood flow to his heart. There's not much the doctors can do - surgery is not an option.
Not easy to hear about someone you love. It's no coincidence, I don't think, that my uncle was moved to proclaim his love for Christ and the following day receive such prognosis. I believe God is gently taking care of my uncle and his family by letting them know that he is ready for eternity with Christ. There is great comfort in that. God has also revealed the severity of my uncle's health to his family. They now have time to speak through their hearts and share their love for him. Not everyone is given this.
Funny thing is, uncle Murray and aunt Carolyn are my God-parents who are basically tasked with helping lead me to Christ in the event that I were orphaned. Well, I graciously was not orphaned but they have led me to Christ, again and again. Scripture and faith brings peace and rest and allow us to enjoy every day that He gives us on this earth. Here are a couple of my new favs -
1 Cor. 2:9
However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"
Zephaniah 3:17
The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.

We had a wonderful visit with uncle Murray and his family this Labor Day weekend. He was in good spirits, had lots of energy and sat up all day talking with numerous visitors. It was a weekend full of reminecing, story telling, kids climbing trees and playing Red Rover, college football, fried chicken and God's grace.

After a busy weekend of visiting with family, Emma sums it up.


Thinking and praying for my uncle,
Anne Marie

4 comments:

heather said...

What a great and sad gift for you and your family. Having time with your uncle will be something you will always treasure you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

This was probably the best thing in the world for him to be surrounded by his family. Everyone going about the get-together like everything was ok. What a blessing to have that in his final days. I'll be praying for you and your family. I'm so glad God gave you this gift of fellowship together. We did something very similar before Brian's grandfather passed away. It was a trip I'll never forget.

Laura said...

I knew you had gone to Augusta, but I imagined it as a sad event. Glad to read your post, and know that you had sweet family times together! I'm praying for you, your uncle and his family.

deLa said...

aw im really sorry! i know firsthand how rough it is. my grandfather was diagnosed with several types of cancer and died shortly after bradley and i got married. it was so rough, but i dont think i would of been nearly as strong if i hadnt of had bradley to fall into.

all the things you were listing he got to see makes me smile. ill be praying for everyone involved!!